Friday, August 6, 2010

Cupcakes and Cavatini (Pizza Pasta)

So everyone that knows me well knows that I have a slight cupcake obsession, evidenced by how ridiculously excited I was to receive the Martha Stewart "Cupcakes" cookbook for Christmas this past year. So I heard that there was a "cupcakery" that opened in Enterprise and I was delighted when my Mom suggested that we go there for lunch today (since I had already made up my mind I was gonna go there on the way home and try a cupcake anyway!). The place is "Cupcakes Y'all" and it is located in the Creekside Shopping Center. They do have a small lunch menu of panini sandwiches which are very good (my mom got the "Tiger Pride" and I got the "Sweet and Spicy"). The cupcakes were excellent and I just wanted to tell all of you cupcake lovers to stop by and try one!!

Here is their facebook page if you want more info: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Enterprise-AL/Cupcakes-Yall/113949692741?ref=ts&__a=21&v=wall

Pink Champagne Cupcake: Special of the Day (and yes it did have a yummy champagne flavor! very good!!)


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Mocha Cupcake
 
(though I'm not a fan of coffee, my mom said this one had a really good flavor and she is a coffee fanatic)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
For dinner tonight I made something not so healthy, but my hubby hadn't eaten all day and his aunt makes something similar which he really likes. (It was his first day back with kids at school, I was being a good wife!) It is a sort of like a pizza lasagna. Big tip for this recipe is to cook the pepperoni in a pan BEFORE adding it to the casserole to render out some of its fat and then place it on paper towels to absorb the excess grease (like you would bacon). If you don't do this, you will end of with a greasy mess as the fat renders out in the casserole and that is not appetizing (trust me, I did it once). Another tip for this recipe is to add whatever you like on a pizza. We are really big mushroom lovers so we add lots of those, but if you like bell peppers, onion, black olives or other toppings, you can add those into the pasta mixture (just remember to saute veggies first to soften them up a bit since this doesn't cook long in the oven.)
 
Cavatini (Pizza Pasta)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound italian sausage (casings removed)
1 large jar of pasta sauce (I used Ragu Super Chunky Mushroom)
1 jar of sliced mushrooms, drained (or saute fresh mushrooms)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less depending on how spicy you like things)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 pound of pasta shells, cooked and drained (can use egg noodles, rotini, or elbows if you have that on hand)
1/2 package of pepperoni, quartered
Parmesan Cheese
Mozzerella Cheese (or can use other cheese you have in the house as well)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown sausage and ground beef, drain. Add pasta sauce, mushrooms (or other veggies of your choice, as detailed above), and seasonings and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, covered, over low heat. Remove and discard bay leaf. While pasta sauce is bubbling, cook pepperoni over medium heat in a separate pan to help render out its fat and then drain on paper towels like bacon. In a large bowl, combine the pasta sauce mixure and the cooked shells and then spoon half of the mixture into a 9x13 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle this layer first with parmesan cheese, then pepperoni slices, then enought mozzerella cheese to cover the layer. Repeat with another layer of noodles, parm, pepperoni, and mozzerella (can use other cheese if you need to, we had some cheddar as well so I used a little of that). Bake until casserole is bubbly and cheese is melted (about 20-30 minutes).

 So maybe make this every now and then since it is not so healthy, but every now and then some good comfort food is alright ;)

1 comment: